1. Sustainable Truckee Eco/Green STR Lodging Standards: In Development
Visit Truckee-Tahoe worked with Sierra Business Council to develop a “leaning-in” green business model for Short Term Rentals (STRs) based on the California Green Business Network criteria. The standards recognize lodging properties that meet sustainability criteria in five categories: Energy, Waste & Supplies, Water, Transportation, and Communications.
2. Donner Lake Peak Period Assessment (Sponsorship): Summer/Winter
Sustainable Truckee sponsorship was awarded to Truckee River Watershed Council to complete data collection and user interviews at Donner Lake during peak visitation periods summer 2023 and winter 2023/2024. This will inform efforts to improve user experiences, protect natural resources, and better understand the extent of issues and impacts. Assessment findings will be incorporated into the 2023 State of Donner Lake report.
3. Johnson Canyon Trailhead Project (Sponsorship)
Sustainable Truckee sponsorship was awarded to Truckee Donner Land Trust for a feasibility study and/or master plan for long-term enhancement of the Johnson Canyon Trailhead area. The project will enhance outdoor recreation and access with implementation of waste management, paved parking, toilets, picnic tables, and possible development of an all-inclusive interpretive loop trail.
4. Old Greenwood Trailhead Project (Sponsorship)
Sustainable Truckee sponsorship was awarded to Truckee Donner Land Trust for a feasibility study and/or master plan of trailhead/visitor amenities for snow play for the Old Greenwood property located off of Pioneer Trail, Interstate 80.
5. TART Connect Microtransit Pilot (Sponsorship): Summer/Winter
Visit Truckee-Tahoe provided major funding, along with other VIP partners, for Truckee's first microtransit pilot, an "on-demand mountain Uber" that provides free door to door rides via the TART Connect app. The "around town" shuttle operates seven days a week in Truckee service areas.
Currently available from 6:30am - midnight daily.
- Spring pilot April 2023 - June 2023 from 6:30am - 10pm daily: Completed
- Winter pilot Dec 2022 - April 2023 from 8am - 10pm daily: Completed
- Summer pilot June-Sept 2022: Completed
Free Truckee Shuttle (TART Connect)
6. Donner Lake West End Beach Parking & Snow Play (Sponsorship): Winter
Sustainable Truckee sponsorship was awarded to Tahoe Backcountry Alliance for winter 2021-22 and winter 2022-23 to amend their contract with West End Snow Removal for expanded snow removal services at West End Beach, Donner Lake. Expanded snow plowing increases the total available winter parking spots from 20 to 60, serving Donner Lake Run backcountry skiers and snow play users.
7. Sustainable Truckee Outdoor Recreation Maps & Guides: Summer/Winter
Comprehensive print and digital trail maps detailing safety, trail etiquette, and orientation to popular and off the beaten path trails in and nearby Truckee.
8. Sustainable Truckee Lodging Offer: Spring/Fall
Visitors who book Truckee lodging during off-peak period times (fall or spring shoulder seasons, midweek) are eligible for a $100 Sustainable Truckee Gift Card. Cards support 50+ local businesses and 25% is matched for stewardship projects.
- Early Summer Lodging Offer (2023) - Completed
- Midweek Spring Skiing Lodging Offer (2023) - Completed
- Fall Lodging Offer (2022) - Completed
- Early Summer Lodging Offer (2022) - Completed
9. Trails for EveryBODY™ (Sponsorship): Summer
Visit Truckee-Tahoe's Trails for EveryBODY™ initiative supports events and trail development that cultivate an inclusive, bike-friendly culture for all. Sponsorships include:
- Compass Skills Loop (Completed 2022): an all-inclusive, universally designed mountain bike loop at Truckee's Sawtooth trailhead. Suitable for kids, adults, and adaptive riders at beginner and intermediate levels.
- Ridgeline Nature Loop (Completed 2021): a one-mile, flat, ADA accessible loop at Truckee's Sawtooth trailhead that accommodates wheel chairs, strollers, and strider bikes.
- Truckee Tahoe Gravel (July 2023): Formerly known as the Truckee Dirt Fondo, Truckee Tahoe Gravel is a welcoming, sustainably-minded gravel race and family festival on dirt and gravel roads in the Tahoe National Forest.
10. Sustainable Truckee Trailhead Signage Program: Summer
Summer signs were created in partnership with USFS, Truckee Fire Protection District, and Truckee Trails Foundation and were posted at summer Truckee trailheads with relevant fire safety and stewardship messages.
11. Sustainable Truckee Historic Downtown Flagpole Banners: Summer/Winter
Along Historic Downtown Truckee's main street, you will see multiple outdoor nature and wildlife images on lampposts with the message “Take Care”. Sixty-one flagpoles promote a protect, preserve and take care of our natural environment message.
12. Sustainable Truckee Gift Card, Local Business Support
The Sustainable Truckee Gift Card is a community-based, digital gift card that can only be used at participating merchants. Nearly 60 Truckee businesses have opted into the program. Cards encourage visitors and residents to SHOP LOCAL, keeping more dollars in our community. There is no cost to participate for business owners.
13. Sustainable Truckee Gift Card, Stewardship Match
For every gift card sold, Visit Truckee-Tahoe will match 25% of card value for Sustainable Truckee Sponsorships (up to $25,000) such as meadow restoration (carbon sequestration), trail work, graffiti cleanup, wildfire prevention messaging.
14. Truckee-Tahoe Travel Alert
Visit Truckee-Tahoe coordinates with key partners and land management agencies to ensure key alerts, safety messages, and information for Truckee, California are delivered on the Truckee-Tahoe Travel Alert. This page is maintained frequently with need to know information for visitors and residents.
15. Sustainable Truckee Visitor’s Guides
Developed in coordination with VIP partners (i.e. TDPUD, NV County, Town of Truckee), these guides help our community of visitors and residents plan ahead and be prepared for seasonal events in the mountains such as winter weather, wildfire season, power outages, etc.
16. Local Voices Making Climate Choices
Sustainable Truckee features Truckee-Tahoe locals and highlights how our community lives sustainably on our Local Voices page. Everyone, including visitors, are welcome to join.
17. “Recreate Responsibly” Focused Visitor Communications
We support a local, regional, and national effort to amplify the Recreate Responsibly guidelines and encourage responsible travel.
18. Outdoor Volunteer Opportunities
A hub for getting involved with Truckee-Tahoe nonprofits. Meet locals and spend a few hours doing something completely unique and memorable during your vacation. Drop-in opportunities available. View Volunteer Opportunities.
19. Traveler Responsibility Pledge
A regional pledge that encourages visitors to become responsible travelers through six action items: Become a Steward of Truckee-Tahoe, Respect the Environment, Stay Educated, Keep Wildlife Wild, Be Fire Safe, Demonstrate Mindful Travel.