Sustainable Truckee Pre-Arrival Guide for Visitors
Our home is your home. We welcome everyone to travel mindfully with respect, reverence, and #TruckeeLove for all. We appreciate your commitment to reducing your impact and taking care of this special mountain town. THANK YOU for joining us.
Truckee is an authentic California mountain town committed to a greener future. We’re grateful to host sustainably-minded visitors like yourself. Before your trip, please read through this pre-arrival guide to ensure your vacation is not only fulfilling and fun, but also benefits Truckee’s community, environment, and local economy.
To learn more, go to SustainableTruckee.org.
Learn & Stay Informed
- Bookmark the Truckee-Tahoe Travel Alert. Get daily updates about Truckee weather, roads, events, programs, and more at VisitTruckeeTahoe.com/travelalert.
- Join Visit Truckee-Tahoe’s monthly visitor e-newsletter. Get the latest news about sustainability, events, activities, outdoor adventures, family itineraries, and more. Sign up at VisitTruckeeTahoe.com/signup.
- Read Truckee’s Good Neighbor Flyer to understand what’s expected during your stay. We need your help to ensure Truckee can continue to offer a wide variety of vacation homes. Please visit with respect, responsibility and mindfulness in our neighborhoods.
Read and bookmark Truckee’s Visitor Guides:
- Visitor's Guide to Black Bears and Food Storage
- Visitor's Guide to Boating, Water Recreation & Sustainability
- Visitor's Guide to Wildfire Season
- Visitor's Guide to Planned Power Outages (PSOMs)
- Visitor's Guide to Winter Power Outages
- Visitor's Guide to Winter Weekend Traffic
Reduce Waste & Leave No Trace
- Use reusable bottles, bags, and utensils. Help keep waste out of landfills. Use reusable bags for groceries, bring your reusable coffee mug to coffee shops, and refill your reusable water bottle with fresh and deep, mountain tap water.
- Order takeout in a reusable Green Box. This zero-waste alternative to “to-go” boxes is accepted at nine restaurants in Truckee. See how it works.
- Feed gardens, not landfills! Compost locally in Truckee. Drop off food scraps at one of four convenient compost drop-off locations, accessible year-round.
- Pack out MORE than you pack in. Pack an extra bag for waste and help out by packing out your trash and picking up all litter you see. Keep your eyes peeled for micro-trash and make it a game to see who can collect the most.
- Leave No Poop! Pet waste contains bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can harm Truckee’s rivers and lakes. Please remember to clean up after your pet. Pick up dog waste and dispose of poop bags in the trash.
- Use Truckee’s FREE "around town" shuttle. TART Connect is an on-demand shuttle that provides FREE door-to-door rides in Truckee. Download the app, order a ride, and get picked up in as little as 15 minutes. Summer schedule is 6:30am to midnight daily until Sept. 4, 2023. Pet-friendly!
- Get around Truckee on e-bikes. Look for the electric bike docking stations located throughout Truckee. Use the app to rent a pedal-assist e-bike then go for a ride and return the bike to any docking station. Monthly and daily pass options.
- Plan a car-free visit. Learn how to get here and get around without a car using Truckee’s shuttles, free transit, and bike paths. Read our Guide to Sustainable Transportation.
- Bike or walk on Truckee’s 26 miles of scenic paved paths. Get from your lodging to shopping and dining or enjoy a run, walk, or ride in the fresh mountain air on Truckee’s scenic paved paths. Open year-round with over 20 miles plowed in winter.
- Eat local & farm fresh in Truckee. Tahoe Food Hub and New Moon Natural Foods supply our community with organic, sustainable, locally-grown food throughout the year. For more options, including summer farmers markets, see Where to Get Groceries & Grab n Go in Truckee.
- Drive your electric vehicle. Have an EV? Truckee has 60 EV charging stations with more added regularly.
- Book Truckee lodging direct. Stay in Truckee and support locally-owned property management companies, hotels, inns, and lodges that employ hundreds of locals. By booking direct on their websites versus with corporate sites such as Expedia and Booking.com, more dollars stay within our local Truckee community.
- Buy Sustainable Truckee Gift Cards as gifts for friends, family, teachers, co-workers, staff... or yourself! These digital, community-based gift cards may be redeemed at nearly 60 Truckee businesses: restaurants, shops, lodging, massage studios, grocery stores, and more. Every card supports local businesses and Visit Truckee-Tahoe matches 25% of card value for stewardship projects.
- Support Truckee’s certified California Green Businesses. Truckee has five certified California Green Businesses and more on the way. Includes RMU, Mountain Lotus Yoga, and The Lift Coworking.
- Shop at Truckee's locally-owned and operated businesses. When you shop local in Truckee, more dollars stay within our community. Browse outdoor gear shops, boutiques, one-of-a-kind gifts, vintage stores, and more.
- Volunteer during your visit. Find ways to get involved on Visit Truckee-Tahoe’s Voluntourism page. Spend time with Truckee Locals, earn good karma points, and give back to your host town.
- Make a donation; make a difference. Find a Truckee nonprofit that shares your values and consider making a donation to amplify their impact. Browse 60+ local nonprofits on GiveBackTahoe.org, a platform for Truckee-Tahoe nonprofits where you can learn about their work, find volunteer opportunities, or make a donation.