Truckee Travel Alert
October 20, 2021
Chance of rain and high elevation snow everyday this week. Then, according to NOAA, Saturday afternoon-Monday could deliver the "wettest October storm on record," with multiple feet of snow above 8000ft. Time to get ready for November skiing and riding! Buy your season pass and book Truckee lodging.
Weather, Webcams, Snow
View our Weather Page for links to ski resort cams, roads and traffic information, highway cams, the daily avalanche forecast, and Tahoe Daily Snow forecast discussion.
Ski Areas Opening in November!
- Palisades Tahoe - Wednesday, November 24, 2021
- Northstar California Resort - Friday, November 19, 2021
- Sugar Bowl Resort - Friday, November 26, 2021
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort - Friday, December 10, 2021
- Tahoe Donner Cross Country Ski Center - Friday, November 26, 2021
- Royal Gorge Cross-Country Ski Resort - TBD
Know Before You Go
Read these guides for general Truckee-Tahoe information, and to be prepared for winter weather, power outages, wildfires, and other emergency situations.
- Visitor's Guide to Power Outages
- Visitor’s Guide to Wildfire Season
- Tahoe Donner Association Guide to Evacuations & Emergency Preparedness
- North Lake Tahoe Annual Visitor Guide
National Weather Service Alerts
Check if watches, warnings, or advisories are currently in effect for Truckee, California. Examples of National Weather Service alerts include fire weather watch, red flag warning, wind advisory and more.
- Check if a Red Flag Warning is in effect for Truckee, California (NOAA)
- Check watches, warnings, and advisories for Nevada County, California (NOAA)
- Understanding Wildfire Warnings, Watches and Behavior (NOAA)
Fire Restrictions in Effect
Campfire bans remain in place. Wood or charcoal fires are currently prohibited in Truckee & Donner Summit Residential Areas, Tahoe National Forest, and Donner Memorial State Park. During a Red Flag Warning, no open flames are permitted. Learn more in our Visitor's Guide to Wildfire Season.
Evacuations: Know Your Zone & Hi/Lo Siren
Enter the address of your lodging or residence in Zonehaven (Truckee, Nevada County Evacuation Zones) to locate your evacuation zone, and see its status. Use Nevada County's Evacuation Zone page to understand evacuation zones and evacuation status level.
When you hear this Hi/Lo siren, it's time to GO - evacuate immediately.
Sign Up For Emergency Alerts
Get notified via text, email or phone of emergency events, including evacuation orders and warnings, by the Truckee Fire Protection District, Truckee Police, and Nevada County. Sign up here.
Dial 2-1-1 for Information
Not an emergency? Call 2-1-1 or search 211 Connecting Point's website for information about road conditions, closures, emergency preparedness, and local services. If you are experiencing an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Social Media Updates
Follow these official accounts for trusted information.
- Nevada County Office of Emergency Services - Twitter
- Nevada County Sheriff's Office - Twitter
- Placer County Sheriff's Office - Twitter
- Truckee Fire - Twitter
- USFS Tahoe National Forest - Twitter
- National Weather Service Reno - Twitter
- Town of Truckee - Facebook
- Nevada County, CA - Facebook
- Truckee Fire Protection District - Facebook
- Truckee Police - Facebook
Face Coverings Required
Nevada County's amended mask mandate requires individuals to wear face coverings indoors and outdoors in crowded settings regardless of vaccination status.
Lake Tahoe Basin Forest Closures
The Caldor Fire area of the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit is temporarily closed through Dec 31, 2021. The following backcountry areas are also closed through Oct 20, 2021: Desolation Wilderness, Meiss Country, Barker Pass, Blackwood Canyon and McKinney/Rubicon.
The Tahoe National Forest is OPEN. Click here for trail maps.
Donner Pass Road Construction
A road rehabilitation project is underway to widen Donner Pass Road, enhance pullouts, and construct 4 foot shoulders with bike lanes in both directions for safer driving and biking. Paving is scheduled to wrap up by mid-month. The east side of Donner Summit will remain closed to thru traffic 24 hours a day, Monday-Friday, until the end of the month for crews to prep for winter. Learn more.
Take the Truckee-Tahoe Traveler Responsibility Pledge & Win!
Become a responsible traveler and learn how you can help protect Truckee-Tahoe. Take the pledge and you'll be entered into a weekly giveaway for a custom Leave No Trace Deuter Dirtbag.
Ways to Take Care
Thanks for remembering to have fun, share the trail, and take care of our natural environment while you enjoy the numerous outdoor activities in Truckee-Tahoe.
- How to Recreate Responsibly & Leave No Trace
- North Lake Tahoe's Know Before You Go Guide
- How to Take Care from Take Care Tahoe
Outdoor Voluntourism - Volunteer Experiences with Locals
Meet Truckee-Tahoe locals and give back. Here's a roundup of outdoor voluntourism happening in our mountain community - a travel experience you'll remember forever!