Travel Advice for a Winter Weekend Trip to Truckee
Holiday weekends are busy times to visit Truckee-Tahoe. We highly recommend a midweek visit but if you’ve already made plans, here’s some advice for your trip!
Before Your Trip
- Make dining, lodging, activity reservations ahead of time.
- Read the Truckee-Tahoe Travel Alert and check highway/weather conditions on our weather, roads, cams page.
- Get your vehicle ready for mountain driving. Check tire air pressure, windshield wipers, and fluid.
- Get yourself ready for mountain driving! Be well-rested, carry food, water, face coverings, shovels, and blankets in your car.
- Consider arriving/departing off-peak driving periods to avoid traffic.
- Re-read lodging reservations for check-in instructions, tips, and host or hotel advice.
- Get groceries and gas before coming to Truckee to avoid lines.
- Stay an extra night to avoid peak period highway traffic.
While You’re Here
- Early bird gets the parking spot. Consider hitting the road by 7am to get to ski areas or trailheads.
- Use TART park and ride shuttles to get to/from ski areas or carpool.
- Check live traffic conditions on our weather, roads, cams page.
- Know how to Leave No Trace and Recreate Responsibly. Pack out everything you pack in.
- Read our Winter Recreation Guide before your outdoor adventure.
- Have a plan B if a parking area is full. DO NOT block roadways or park on private property.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Use reusable coffee mugs, water bottles, and shopping bags. Learn how to recycle at your lodging property.
- When shopping or dining local, remember to be flexible, patient, offer a caring smile to local workers, and HAVE FUN!
After Your Trip
- Start planning your next MIDWEEK trip!
- Tag Visit Truckee-Tahoe in your photos and let us know what tips you found helpful during the busy holiday weekend.
- Give back to our community by giving a Sustainable Truckee Gift Card to friends, family, or co-workers planning a visit. Every purchase supports helps fund local stewardship through Sustainable Truckee sponsorships!